One of many first recipes Ivanir got down to develop with digestive well being in thoughts needed to be, after all, probably the most fundamental and important: gut-healthy crackers for her each day snack time routine. We clearly needed to study extra about her recipe, together with how you can make it and what makes these crackers so nice with regards to balancing your intestine microbiome.
Consultants In This Article
- Kylie Ivanir, MS, RD, Kylie Ivanir, MS, RD, is a registered dietitian and founding father of her intestine well being dietitian apply, Inside Vitamin.
“Since each chunk we take has the potential to enhance our microbiomes, I had to provide you with my very own gut-healthy cracker recipe as a result of I incorporate crackers into so lots of my meals,” Ivanir says. “I make it each single week utilizing two easy elements: oat bran and rye flour.”
Why this two-ingredient cracker recipe is so good for you (and your intestine)
1. Rye flour
In keeping with Ivanir, whole-grain sources of gluten like rye may be useful for many who aren’t gluten-sensitive or have celiac illness. Ivanir says she loves to make use of rye flour right here as a result of it is low on the glycemic index in comparison with different flours, which implies it creates the bottom blood sugar spike and helps offer you regular power all through the day. “Plus, rye flour provides some prebiotic fiber and tons of plant-based protein,” she provides.
BTW, Ivanir notes that those that are celiac or gluten-sensitive can merely swap in a favourite gluten-free flour as a substitute and they need to come out simply advantageous.
2. Oat bran
“I additionally use oat bran as a result of it incorporates tons of protein and the next quantity of fiber than common oats, in addition to gut-healthy zinc, magnesium, and vitamin E,” Ivanir says. “When the soluble fiber in oat bran absorbs water, it expands in your intestines and creates a viscous gel-like consistency. This ‘fiber gel’ slows the passage of meals, resulting in a managed blood sugar response and extra steady power over time. Oat bran is really a powerhouse ingredient for intestine well being as a result of it incorporates an vital prebiotic referred to as beta-glucan that feeds our good anti-inflammatory micro organism within the intestine and it additionally has anti-microbial results.” Signal us up!
Ivanir’s favourite pairings for these high-fiber, high-protein crackers are avocado and sauerkraut, cheese or cashew cheese, and nut butter with mashed raspberries. In addition they make a pleasant addition alongside (or topped on) any salad, in addition to with a tuna, salmon, or egg salad.
Kylie Ivanir’s two-ingredient cracker recipe
3 cups natural oat bran
5 Tbsp rye flour
1 tsp salt
1-2 cups water
1. Combine elements collectively in a medium bowl and add water till mixed and the consistency is well spreadable.
2. Unfold onto a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for roughly 25 minutes.
3. Midway by baking, take the crackers out of the oven and reduce into squares, then put again within the oven for the remaining time. On the finish of 25 minutes they’ll come out a bit mushy, however in case you want them drier or more durable, depart in for longer.
4. Eat or retailer in an hermetic container within the pantry or fridge.