This vegan Penne alla Vodka is a lightened up model of an Italian traditional that’s made dairy-free with coconut cream. It’s wealthy, creamy and makes for the right 30-minute meal that the entire household will love!
I like my pasta! Extra particularly I like pasta with creamy sauces like vodka sauce. That mentioned, I don’t normally eat a ton of dairy, so I needed to take a stab at making a vegan penne alla vodka!
After just a few tries I feel I perfected this recipe! It’s wealthy and creamy because of the coconut cream, nevertheless it nonetheless has that distinct vodka sauce taste that I like! And belief me, you cant even style the coconut on this sauce. It pairs nicely with the acidity from the tomatoes. This dish isn’t solely scrumptious, nevertheless it comes collectively in about half-hour making it the right recipe for busy weeknights or a straightforward do-it-yourself date evening meal. I can’t wait so that you can strive it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 30-minute meal – This dish comes collectively in about half-hour with easy components, making it excellent for busy weeknights.
- Dairy-free – Traditional vodka sauce is normally made with heavy cream or some type of dairy, however this recipe is made with coconut cream as a substitute.
- Flavorful – The combo of garlic, onions, herbs, vodka and tomatoes creates a wealthy, savory style.
- Versatile – You possibly can simply modify this recipe to suit your weight loss program. Need to use gluten-free pasta? Go for it! Need to add protein? That’d be scrumptious!
You solely want a handful of components to whip up this flavorful pasta dish! Right here’s all you want:
- dry penne pasta – the star of the present! We’re utilizing a full one pound field of penne for this dish. Regardless that this dish is known as penne alla vodka, be at liberty to make use of your favourite kind of noodle. I’d simply suggest utilizing a pasta form that holds sauce nicely like ziti, rigatoni, orecchiette or bowtie pasta. In case you want this dish to be gluten-free swap the common penne pasta along with your favourite gluten-free pasta.
- olive oil – for sautéing the garlic and onions.
- onion and garlic – two necessities that add a ton of taste to the sauce.
- crushed tomatoes – kinds the tomato base of the vodka sauce. I like to recommend grabbing no salt added tomatoes so you’ll be able to management the quantity of sodium within the sauce.
- vodka – a key ingredient within the sauce, contributing to its distinctive taste. In case you don’t have vodka available you should use vermouth as a substitute.
- crimson pepper flakes – for a touch of warmth, including a refined kick to the sauce. Be at liberty to skip this for those who’re not a fan of spice or for those who’re serving this to kiddos.
- salt and pepper – fundamental seasonings to boost the general taste.
- coconut cream – provides the sauce its creamy, wealthy texture whereas conserving it dairy-free. In case you don’t want this dish to be vegan you should use heavy cream as a substitute.
- contemporary basil – chopped, including a contemporary, herby brightness to the dish.
- dairy-free parmesan – to sprinkle on prime, including a tacky, nutty end with out the dairy. I like to recommend Comply with Your Coronary heart Dairy Free Parmesan Cheese or you may make my vegan hemp parmesan as a substitute.
How you can Make Vegan Penne alla Vodka
Step 1: Prepare dinner the penne pasta based on the package deal directions till al dente, then drain and put aside. Whereas the pasta is cooking warmth the olive oil in a skillet, then sauté garlic and onions till translucent and aromatic.
Step 2: Add the crushed tomatoes to the skillet, season with salt, pepper and crimson pepper flakes, then simmer for a couple of minutes. Pour within the vodka, and proceed to simmer on low for 15-20 minutes to let the sauce scale back and thicken.
Step 3: As soon as the sauce has decreased, stir within the coconut cream. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce, mixing nicely so all of the pasta is coated within the sauce. Garnish with chopped contemporary basil and dairy-free parmesan earlier than serving. Take pleasure in!
- For the most effective outcomes cook dinner the pasta till simply al dente, so it nonetheless has a pleasant chewiness to it and isn’t mushy.
- Permit the sauce to simmer sufficiently after including the vodka. Not solely does it make sure that the alcohol cooks off, nevertheless it additionally permits the flavors to meld collectively and the sauce to thicken and scale back.
What to Serve With This Penne alla Vodka
This pasta dish is hearty and filling by itself, nevertheless it pairs splendidly with a wide range of sides to make a well-rounded meal. Listed here are some solutions:
- Within the fridge: Switch the cooled pasta to an hermetic container and retailer within the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Within the freezer: I wouldn’t suggest freezing this dish with the pasta, however if you wish to make an enormous batch of vodka sauce for a later use you’ll be able to simply freeze that. Simply permit the sauce to chill fully, then switch to a freezer-safe container and retailer within the freezer for as much as 3 months. To thaw, place it within the fridge in a single day, then reheat over the stovetop and serve over freshly cooked pasta.
- Reheating: Once you’re able to benefit from the pasta once more, reheat it in a skillet over the stovetop. If it appears dry, add a splash of water or plant-based milk to carry again the creaminess of the sauce. Alternatively, you’ll be able to add the pasta to a bowl with a splash of water and microwave it till heat all through.
Extra Pasta Dishes You’ll Love
Be sure you try the complete assortment of dinner recipes on EBF!