This entry was posted on Nov 30, 2023 by Charlotte Bell.
Pincha Mayurasana (Peacock Pose or Elbow Stability Pose) has lengthy impressed nervousness for a few of my yoga college students. Flipping your legs up with solely the help of your forearms on the ground can really feel weak. Maybe as a result of it feels much less steady, we don’t observe it as commonly as Sirsasana (Headstand) and Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand). However not like Sirsasana, there’s no weight on the top and neck in Pincha Mayurasana. Due to this, it could finally be safer for most individuals. However parallel forearms don’t make as stable a base because the interlaced fingers in Headstand. So with the intention to really feel protected and steady in Peacock Pose, we have to again up and provides some power to strengthening the shoulders and arms earlier than we kick our legs up. Dolphin Pose (Ardha Pincha Mayurasana) is a good way to work towards Peacock Pose, however it’s additionally a helpful pose in its personal proper.
Dolphin Pose may be each a preparation for and an alternative choice to Peacock Pose. Training Ardha Pincha Mayurasana commonly for some time—weeks, months or years—earlier than making an attempt Peacock Pose can provide your higher physique the power to help you in Peacock Pose. It may well additionally get you accustomed to bearing weight in your forearms, so that after you are feeling able to kick your legs up, it feels acquainted moderately than international. However in fact, your yoga observe won’t undergo for those who determine Peacock Pose is just not for you. You may all the time observe Dolphin Pose as a substitute and nonetheless reap comparable advantages.
Dolphin Pose Advantages
Dolphin Pose affords many advantages. These embrace:
- Strengthening shoulders, arms, hamstrings and calves
- Calming and energizing the mind
- Relieving again ache, headache (in some circumstances) and fatigue
- Therapeutic for sciatica
- Strengthening the core
As well as, Dolphin Pose is usually a nice substitute for Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Going through Canine Pose) for individuals with hand and wrist points. Like Canine Pose, it’s a gentle inversion that strengthens and stretches the arms, legs and shoulders. However the palms and wrists bear no weight. Alternating between Canine Pose and Dolphin Pose throughout vinyasa observe may be a good way to forestall the hand and wrist stress that generally comes with a number of Solar Salutations.
Dolphin Pose Cautions
Whereas Ardha Pincha Mayurasana is usually protected for most individuals, there are just a few contraindications for observe. These embrace:
- Acute or continual shoulder, arm or again damage
- Glaucoma or indifferent retina
- Unmedicated hypertension
- Training Dolphin Pose within the first day or two of your interval might interrupt your circulation and trigger cramping.
All however the first contraindication are the identical cautions you’d wish to observe for any inversion. Dolphin Pose, like Canine Pose, is a gentle inversion. So proceed with warning or keep away from the pose altogether for those who’re experiencing any of the above circumstances.
How you can Apply
- Begin in Bharmanasana (Tabletop Pose) on a nonskid Yoga Mat.
- Place your forearms on the ground in order that your elbows are shoulders-width aside and your forearms are parallel, palms down. Unfold your palms and fingers, pointing your center fingers straight forward.
- Flip your toes below.
- Press down into the ground together with your forearms as you carry your pelvis up towards the ceiling.
- You needn’t straighten your knees instantly. As a substitute, concentrate on lengthening your higher arms and torso, creating a protracted, steady line out of your forearms to your ischial tuberosities (aka “sit bones”). Your ischial tuberosities ought to be the very best level in your physique.
- Straighten your knees for those who like, sustaining the size in your torso and arms.
- Keep away from the tendency to carry your head. As a substitute, preserve your head and neck in step with the remainder of your backbone.
- Take 5 to 10 deep breaths right here, persevering with to press your forearms down as you lengthen your torso and legs.
- Launch your knees right down to the ground, after which chill out in Balasana (Youngster’s Pose).
How you can Assist Your Dolphin Pose with Yoga Props
Conserving your elbows proper below your shoulders is vital to making a steady base for Dolphin Pose. However there’s a robust tendency for the elbows to slip out within the pose, inflicting the forearms to angle inward. When this occurs, our bony construction, primarily the humerus bones, are not capable of help us effectively. Moreover, the shoulder blades can draw inward, compressing the higher again. Utilizing a Yoga Block and a Yoga Strap can assist forestall this misalignment.
Right here’s how one can arrange:
- Begin in Tabletop Pose.
- Place a Yoga Block on the ground between your palms in order that it’s widthwise throughout the mat.
- Make a loop in a Yoga Strap. Place the strap simply above your elbows after which modify the loop in order that the strap holds your elbows at shoulders-width aside.
- Bend your elbows in order that your forearms are on the ground and parallel, palms down. Place the internal sides of the index fingers into the vast sides of the block, together with your thumbs pointing towards one another and urgent into the facet of the block nearest you. Your index fingers and thumbs can be at a 90-degree angle to one another.
- Now observe steps 3 by 9 within the above “How you can Apply” directions.
About Charlotte Bell
Charlotte Bell found yoga in 1982 and commenced instructing in 1986. Charlotte is the creator of Aware Yoga, Aware Life: A Information for On a regular basis Apply and Yoga for Meditators, each revealed by Rodmell Press. Her third e-book is titled Hip-Wholesome Asana: The Yoga Practitioner’s Information to Defending the Hips and Avoiding SI Joint Ache (Shambhala Publications). She writes a month-to-month column for CATALYST Journal and serves as editor for Yoga U On-line. Charlotte is a founding board member for GreenTREE Yoga, a non-profit that brings yoga to underserved populations. A lifelong musician, Charlotte performs oboe and English horn within the Salt Lake Symphony and people sextet Purple Rock Rondo, whose DVD gained two Emmy awards in 2010.